Reconnecting Lives: Exploring the Innovative Ways Communities are Addressing Loneliness
Perth W.A. 2019
with Ron Dwyer-Voss 2018
Reconnecting Lives: Exploring the Innovative Ways Communities are Addressing Loneliness was a one-day event brought to you by Inclusion Solutions, Befriend and the Bank of I.D.E.A.S.
The global human population has never been higher. Our avenues of communication have never been faster or more diverse. Yet, in an ironic twist, loneliness is being described as the greatest public health issue of our time. Fewer people know their neighbours; the average adult has fewer confidantes – friends who they can really talk to about their worries and concerns; and the UK have launched a National Strategy to Tackle Loneliness. A range of studies have demonstrated links between loneliness and a range of physical and mental health concerns, including heart disease, dementia, anxiety and depression, clearly demonstrating that human connection is critical for our health, longevity and quality of life. Is loneliness a problem of the individual, or is it a symptom we experience as a result of community fragmentation? Where should our efforts best be targeted in order to nurture connection?
Reconnecting Lives: Exploring the Innovative Ways Communities are Addressing Loneliness was a one-day event brought to you by Inclusion Solutions, Befriend and the Bank of I.D.E.A.S. The event brought together and displayed some of the stories and initiatives of community organisations and individuals across WA who are using fresh and locally relevant ideas and initiatives to address loneliness, reconnect lives and grow healthy individuals and communities.
- Provided a space for stories and ideas to be shared from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Provided an opportunity to begin an ongoing state-wide discussion about loneliness.
- Created an opportunity for new connections to be made and, open the lines of communication and sharing between organisations and individuals with a particular passion for human connection.
- Created a series of inspiring and interactive sessions that leave participants with a sense that they have both gained and contributed to a whole-of-community approach to a more connected WA.
- Developed practical skills and knowledge that can be applied to nurture connection in your day-to-day work and life.