- Masterclass with Peter Kenyon
October 28, 2020
2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Date: Wednesday 28th October, 2020.
Time: 2pm – 5pm (Registrations from 1.30pm)
Cost: $77 (including GST and afternoon tea)
This half-day Masterclass on Wednesday 28 October precedes The Power to the People: Building Citizen Driven Communities two day Community Building Conference.
Please note: You may only choose to attend one Masterclass for the half day. Participation in the Masterclass is an additional cost and not included as part of the two-day conference fee.
Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) Masterclass with Peter Kenyon
The relationship between organisations and communities is changing and this change is going to require a fundamental shift in behaviour from both officers in organisations and residents in communities. In this stretching and refreshing Masterclass, Peter Kenyon, who is a thought and practice leader in Asset Based Community Development, will provide participants with the opportunity to look at three fundamental questions for creating sustainable and resilient communities:
- What can communities do that organisations cannot?
- What can organisations do that communities cannot?
- What can communities do with organisations that neither can do alone?
Peter will demonstrate why he believes that the traditional customer segmentation and needs analysis approaches are the way of the past, and that a focus on assets and strengths is the future.
The half day workshop will focus on – An in depth understanding of the philosophy, value and practice of ABCD:
- Shifting the development mindset from needs and deficiencies to assets and capacities.
- Highlighting, mapping, connecting and celebrating the diverse range of community assets and harnessing the connected assets for action that enhances places and strengthens caring communities.
- Encouraging community members to make the shift from being consumers, customers and clients of services and programs, to co-producers and citizens.
- Tailoring to your audience – communicating and applying ABCD in various sectors, communities and agencies.
- Facilitation and training approaches and skills related to ABCD including gaming, art of hosting and storytelling.
- In depth awareness of ABCD tools, resources and key stories.
About the Facilitator
Peter Kenyon (Director, Bank of I.D.E.A.S., Australia)
Peter refers to himself as a community enthusiast and social capitalist. He is motivated by the desire to help create caring, healthy, inclusive, connected and enterprising communities, where all community members feel ‘they matter, belong and can contribute’, and where communities discover and mobilise their strengths and transform themselves.
Peter has had a background as a youth worker, teacher, youth education officer, tertiary lecturer and senior public servant. His employment experiences have included Director of Employment in Western Australia, Manager of the Community Employment Development Unit in New Zealand, Coordinator of the Natal KwaZulu Job Creation and Enterprise Strategy in South Africa and international youth and employment adviser to 26 countries in Africa, Pacific, Middle East, Asia and Europe.
Through his organisation, the Bank of I.D.E.A.S (Initiatives for the Development of Enterprising Action and Strategies), Peter has worked with over 2500 communities across Australia, New Zealand, Southern Africa and North America and undertaken work assignments in 59 countries helping communities spark their own ideas and invest themselves in building sustainable futures. Peter is a faculty member of the ABCD Institute at Northwestern University, Chicago, USA.
In recognition of his community and local enterprise building initiatives, Peter received a Centenary Medal in 2001, acknowledged as the Senior West Australian for 2017 and awarded an Order of Australia Medal (OAM) in the 2019 Queens Birthday honours.
Further information contact:
Phone: (08) 6293 1848