- ABCD Masterclass with Peter Kenyon
August 14, 2019
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Masterclass with Peter Kenyon
Where: The Helenic Club of Canberra, Matilda Street, Woden, Canberra, ACT 2606
Dates: Wednesday 14th August, 2019
Times: 9.00am to 4.00pm (Tea / Coffee and registrations from 8.30am)
Cost: $275.00 (including GST)
The Power to the People two day Community Engagement Conference will be preceded by an optional one-day Masterclass on Wednesday 14th August, 2019.
Please note: You may only choose to attend one Masterclass for the full day. Participation in the Masterclass is an additional cost and not included as part of the two day conference fee.
Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) Masterclass with Peter Kenyon
The relationship between organisations and communities is changing and this change is going to require a fundamental shift in behaviour from both officers in organisations and residents in communities. In this stretching and refreshing Masterclass, Peter Kenyon, who is a thought and practice leader in Asset Based Community Development, will provide participants with the opportunity to look at three fundamental questions for creating sustainable and resilient communities:
- What can communities do that organisations cannot?
- What can organisations do that communities cannot?
- What can communities do with organisations that neither can do alone?
Peter will demonstrate why he believes that the traditional customer segmentation and needs analysis approaches are the way of the past, and that a focus on assets and strengths is the future.
The one day workshop will focus on –
An in depth understanding of the philosophy, value and practice of ABCD:
- Shifting the development mindset from needs and deficiencies to assets and capacities.
- Highlighting, mapping, connecting and celebrating the diverse range of community assets and harnessing the connected assets for action that enhances places and strengthens caring communities.
- Encouraging community members to make the shift from being consumers, customers and clients of services and programs, to co-producers and citizens.
- Tailoring to your audience – communicating and applying ABCD in various sectors, communities and agencies.
- Facilitation and training approaches and skills related to ABCD including gaming, art of hosting and storytelling.
- In depth awareness of ABCD tools, resources and key stories.
About the Facilitator
Peter Kenyon (Director, Bank of I.D.E.A.S., Australia)
Peter Kenyon is a social capitalist and community enthusiast. Over the last two decades he has worked with over 1500 communities throughout Australia and overseas seeking to facilitate fresh and creative ways that stimulate community and economic renewal. He is motivated by the desire to create healthy, caring, inclusive, sustainable and enterprising communities and local economies. Peter is convinced that one cannot develop communities from the top down or from the outside in. It requires communities to build from the inside out, and for their members to invest themselves and their ideas, assets and resources in the process. Peter created the Bank of I.D.E.A.S. (Initiatives for the Development of Enterprising Action and Strategies) in 1991 to promote such a paradigm shift and assist with the necessary facilitation, ideas and skills. Peter’s consulting work has resulted in assignments in 59 countries and all states of Australia. From 2004, Peter has spent part of each year working in a range of Middle East and/or North African countries assisting with the development of national youth policies and strategies. Peter is a faculty member of the ABCD Institute at Northwestern University, Chicago, USA.
Further information contact:
Phone: (08) 6293 1848
Brought to you by:
Proudly supported by:
DISCLAIMER: This event is being organised by the Bank of I.D.E.A.S. and local partners. We will endeavour to make sure all the information relevant to this event is correct and up to date, however, details are subject to change and it is the responsibility of the participant to check the Bank of I.D.E.A.S. website for the most current information.
REFUND POLICY: 90% refund if cancellation is given in writing prior to the two weeks before the event. No refund given within two weeks of the event date, however tickets are transferable.